IOMFGBC | Etiquette Of The Game
Bowling remains one of the few sports where common courtesy and etiquette is still prevalent and there is general acceptance of a common set of unwritten guidelines. The following is a brief summary:
- Be on time for your match.
- Shake hands with your opponent before and after a game.
- Respect the playing surface, do not drop bowls onto the green and wear the correct footwear.
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Stand behind the player on the mat out of their eye line and stay still so as not to distract them.
- Stay on your own rink and support your team.
- Do not obscure the rink boundary markers or the centre line markers.
- Stand well back from the head when an opponent is delivering his bowl and be aware of any heavy shots that may send bowls in your direction.
- Do not remove bowls from the head until the outcome has been agreed.
- Wait until your opponents bowl has come to rest before taking control of the rink.
- After delivering a Bowl, a player should either retire behind the Mat or advance to the head. He should not take up a position in between.
- If an umpire is called to measure a shot stand well away from the head until a decision is given.
These guidelines are mostly common sense but they contribute to the enjoyment of the game for all.